Monday, September 19, 2011

Jannette Asked: Why Do you Draw Plus Size Superheroes?

The answer is a simple one, Superheroes are American icons, they have been a part of our culture as far back as men have had imaginations. I am fortunate because my art doesn't just respond to my inner creative voice, but it serves a community that needs a positive voice outside of all the negative misrepresentations of Plus Size.  So my natural love of the superhero genre makes it a perfect platform for including people of size into the pop culture mosaic.

It's not because I have a problem with the original versions of the superheroes or the demographic that they represent. It's just an artistic reinvention designed to speak to how we think and see people of all walks, shapes and sizes. Not as targets of jokes, disrespect, and discrimination, but as a part of our society and culture.

Thanks Jannette for posing the question.
And thanks to you all for looking.

--
All the best,
JNESS
--------
JNESS GRAPHICS
Bigger Art Is Better!™
--------

2 comments:

  1. JNESS, I couldn't figure out how to link to your Facebook page to "Like" it. The link in the right-hand sidebar only allows me to "Like" Facebook Platform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, for reminding me, and thank you for stopping by. I have been meaning to fix that link. Here is the link to my page on facebook page...

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jness-PLUS-SIZE-ART/137591969646857

    ReplyDelete